Tuesday, October 28, 2008

turtle soup

I have mentioned my cat, Abby, several times in these posts, and now my turtle, Otis, has informed me that he is rather offended at being so ignored. I noticed the other day that he was getting into an adolescent snit and trying to climb out of his home. Considering he is 25 years old, I thought this behaviour a little unseemly. When I got him, he was tiny, about the size of a loonie. (which hadn't even been invented, yet, so how do I know that was how big it was? Interesting thought.) I'd never thought about it before, but turtles need to learn how to swim properly and how to right themselves when they turn over on their backs. As they grow, you realize how amazingly strong their legs are, and their jaws, if you are foolish enough to get too close when feeding them. Bananas are a favourite snack, but can be a bit dangerous what with their mushiness and all. Turtles are also inclined to see fingers as food. And contrary to popular opinion they can move very quickly and will burrow if left out to play in the grass.

In other turtle news:







(found on Criggo)


and then there is the two headed turtle stolen from a local pet shop. Sam and Ella (I know, how droll) was last seen when three teenagers were in the store yesterday afternoon. Police say there is very little they can do, but if the turtles are not found quickly they will not survive.

An entertaining explanation of this can be found here from Jack Hanna.


(and when did youtube stop allowing downloads??)

17 comments:

  1. We've got two turtles! Two box turtles that we rescued and who will probably live longer than us! They are fun to watch...and they do love the bananas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never felt any appeal for a turtle. There is not a high cuddle ability factor, is there?

    That women with the turtle in the driveway was obviously not as intelligent as one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em: I keep joking about making mine executor of my will.

    Irene: No cuddling, but they are actually entertaining to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love watching tv programmes on turtles, i think they are lovely. Do we get to see a picture of Otis. Other than bananas what other things do turtles eat?

    MA

    ReplyDelete
  5. A two headed turtle? How bizarre...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having a pet for 25 years is a long time. You must be incredibly attached to him.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. MA: they are indeed fascinating pre-historic like creatures. I forgot to post the pic of the two headed Sam and Ella, that has been fixed - oh you meant Otis? Yes, when he does something cute. They also eat snails, which I gather from other peoples gardens. And raw hamburger, shrimp, krill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jazz: and apparently rare, I loved the video of Jack hanna on Letterman explaining it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crystal: I never expected him to live this long! But yes, I would miss him if anything happened...not quite as I would a cat or dog, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Twenty-five years? That's along time to own anything. And, Violetsky, while I love my cats dearly, there is no way I would gather snails for them. You are one good person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've had a turtle for 25 years? that two heads turtle is just too weird...

    ReplyDelete
  12. miwise: they also eat worms - I drew the line on that.

    UA: yes. isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that's a long-lived pet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that's a long-lived pet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rats, I hate when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's crazy that you have a 25-year-old turtle. As for youtube, you can still imbed most files, but CBS owns that and wants you to subscribe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. apparently I'm not the only one surprised at how long thses creatures live!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!