Wednesday, March 4, 2009

where I dream of escape

One of my favourite 'cooking shows' is on again and every Wednesday lunchtime I make a large pot of tea and stretch out on the chesterfield and float away ... to the canals of France.
With Rick Stein's French Odyssey.

It doesn't matter how many times I've seen each episode, or that I will never attempt to recreate any of his recipes, just listening to him enthusiastically describe the ingredients and the cooking method, humming along to the the head-bopping, toe-tapping accompanying music, watching the tranquil scenery unfold as his barge put-puts through the canals of Southern France into the most picturesque countryside and villages gets me drooling. And weeping with jealousy.

He is brimming with passion at everything he sees and tastes. So many of these 'reality shows' are so earnest as to be painful to watch. This is one example that takes you into the tv with him, "the constantly changing vista: sometimes a ruined chateaux, rolling vine-laden countryside, yellow fields of corn. The utterly serene pace of life."

"Coming into a village is particularly easy on the eye… The Canal du Midi was built when the waterways were the deluxe form of transport --- so that unlike entering a modern town by train, past back gardens, graffiti-daubed walls and rusty factories --- travelling by French canals you go through the best bits: …under elegant bridges and alongside towpaths with pretty houses, right into the centre."

He mentions frequently that things move at a leisurely pace and that locals take their time to experience and savour the finer things of life. Lunches and dinners were always enjoyed leisurely, with always just enough and no more. There is a French saying that one should always leave the table wanting more. This is suppose to be one way to keep yourself trimmer - though it doesn't look like it worked on him. Perhaps, the barge trip was a little too leisurely?

I'm sure it is not all so perfect as the series suggests.
But it does looks so unbelievably romantic.

I need a glass of wine.

Someone please make me a cassoulet.

19 comments:

  1. I'd join you there. I did do some canal boating in the UK. I totally enjoyed it. It had adventure, peace and romance. France would be even better, I think. Wish I was there right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love descriptions like that too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Rick Stein - his things always look so easy and so appetising! I also love canal boating. We had seveal holidays in the past on narrow boats on the various canals of England, and loved it. The backs of towns, which is where the canals usually go, are so much more interesting than the fronts! It would be hard work though, some of those lock gates were brutes to move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cooking shows get rather addictive don't they - all that delicious food. I do like Jamie Oliver and watched a season of Gordon Ramsay but now blogging has taken all my TV time - which is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I don't think we get that show here. It sounds fascinating! I'll have to check the BBC America channel to see if it's listed.

    My dream is to do this cruise on Viking River Cruises: http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/us/cruises/BP/09CHLAVN07/VBY/itinerary.aspx

    It sounds so relaxed and lovely. My hubby used to travel to Avignon on business and he said it was one of the prettiest places in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, for some reason, blogger decided to cut off some of the URL. I tried again and it won't let me paste the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan: that's okay - it all showed up in my email. You have done some research, woman!! This sounds wonderful, wine tasting in Burgundy! That is one long cruise ship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Food TV. And cookbooks. And yet I don't like to cook.

    I am a walking paradox I am.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would be nice to cook like he does and to use ingredients in the same way. My mum loves his shows.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post! We're off to France this very afternoon, to Paris and Grenoble. I've seen the canal du Midi in Toulouse and wish I'd floated along it to the Mediterranean. No cassoulet for me, a luscious pain aux raisin instead. I dream of those and have no where to get them in my town. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mim: have a wonderful time, as I sigh with envy

    ReplyDelete
  12. CJ: am needing a bit more confidence, myself

    Jazz: and the cookbooks and drawerfuls of recipes I'ved saved with all the best intentions ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never seen this show, but you make it sound so lovely to watch. I do enjoy most cooking shows, & am very interested in cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meggie: I am interested in cooking, too - but more interesting in watching cooking ... and then eating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like cooking shows, but I never try any of the recipes, basically because I don't cook :).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lara: I collect so many recipes that I never use. I need someone to cook for maybe? Thanks for popping over from my photoblog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh - that should be my new career - doing a traveling cooking show!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Citizen: I bet you would be great at that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. we ended up at an amazing French restaurant last night, out of the blue, wonderful.. feeding my dream here you are!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!