Wednesday, April 27, 2011

dream house... part 1

I have always rather like this house. It is not fancy, and definitely needs a lot of work, but there is something about it that ... intrigues.

It sits on a corner lot and is oriented to the busier of the two streets. There is quite a set back though from the front, with a very large yard. The whole lot must be at least 150' deep. (I would have planted a few strategically placed trees that would have matured into a nice visual and sound barrier from the traffic)
The double arched entrance onto the porch (with the single, non-arched front door), while looking initially attractive, seems a bit of overkill for such a small unusable space. The other entrance is around the back.  (I would have put a door and mailbox off that addition facing the sidestreet) Behind that wall with the other doorway is a pool. Sweet.
The awnings are not exactly my style, but after seeing them for so many years, they began to suit the house. (I still would have ripped them off and put in nice blinds) They appear to be canvas and at one time all the west-facing and one north-facing windows had them.  People don't use awnings anymore what with the advancement in window coverings technology, though there are a couple of other homes in this neighbourhood that still cling to them. At least there are no shutters to clutter up the exterior even further.

I imagined an older couple living there. The inside full of lovely woodwork. The fireplace with a nice long mantel. Arched doorways into the dining-room and kitchen. The kitchen perhaps still looking like it was 1970 and desperately needing more counter space and cupboards. (and electrical outlets). Three bedrooms with tiny closets.

I was wrong. Very wrong. When the For Sale sign went up, I checked out the virtual tour. It wasn't much of a tour, but what I saw of the inside was all beige. All boring painters white beige. The only colour, really, was in the gold awnings. No unpainted wood trim. No ugly 70s kitchen (okay, that was a good thing!). And no mantel (I love mantels, such a big fireplace and no mantel??)

Then a fence went up one Monday afternoon.  No dumpster.  Oh dear.

on Tuesday morning the pool was gone, as was the wall.









on Wednesday morning, big tooth appeared...





by Wednesday afternoon, all was rubble













on Thursday morning, all was muddy

It has been raining ever since, (plus a long holiday weekend) so not much has been happening.

24 comments:

  1. They're going to build some modern monstrosity, I'll bet.

    - jazz

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! That is horrible!! Poor house!! It could have been made over!! Sheesh!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it were in the UK the builders would construct a small estate of several houses . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had exactly the same thought as jabblog. Although I admit that I used to live in a road called The Orchard which had 16 houses where there were previously only 2 surrounded by a pretty orchard :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jazz: that is always a fear around these parts

    SueAnn: I know. it was rather unfortunate that most of the lot was in front, though, where additions would have ruined the original curb appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jabblog: I have seen that often. many taller houses with postage stamp yards.

    WDP: and they usually name these new developments after the farms or orchards they have overtaken!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems to be popular here in Toronto. People buy smaller homes, tear them down and build something bigger. It makes the neighborhoods look really strange though with a mix of old and new / giant and small.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate it when that happens - and it happens SO MUCH in the Vancouver area! It's like we can't be bothered to preserve our oh-so-short history. Can you imagine a similar house being bulldozed in Europe? It probably wouldn't happen there. I sometimes wish I personally could save and renovate ALL the older houses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's what happens when the location is more valuable than the house. There's a whole neighborhood like that in Dallas. Every fourth or fifth house is a big modern something sitting amidst lovely old classic homes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a dreadful waste.
    What was that about throw-away-society and the exploitation of the planet? remind me, somebody.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh that is a shame. I love old homes. that makes me very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That made me feel quite sad. I used to look at a local house, on large land and wish I could see inside, and or renovate. It was ripped down, and the land is now for sale as 4 Lots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing has been happening for over a week now, but there are several big holes - one much closer to the edge of the property. I doubt it will be subdivided... but I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too bad about the house. Keep us posted on what will be built there instead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate seeing perfectly good houses being knocked down in order to build a probably not-so-nice one. In our part of the UK, perfectly good 1930's houses, big, roomy, with big gardens, have been bought by wealthy sports stars, and the like, knocked down, and enormous, showy houses built there instead. Porticoes, saunas, garages for half-a-dozen cars, gyms, pools, umpteen bedrooms, all ensuite - you name it. It is a very wealthy area there, loads of sports stars, big businessmen etc. lie there, and prices are sky-high, as you can imagine.

    But I suppose its business for the builders.......

    ReplyDelete
  16. I felt my stomach twist at the sight of that lovely little house being demolished.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh - sad. I hope the new place is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Poor wee house. And I bet the garden will be reduced in size to maximise whatever building goes up in its place.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the house. It has a character and that is something I like about a house. The painting inside maybe boring but that something we can always fix. I would love to have a home like that. Thank you for sharing though, that was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had exactly the same experience a couple of years ago. A house that really tugged at my heartstrings was razed. I fantasized about what it would be like to live there, and when it was gone, I felt such a sense of loss. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ...so, I have no greedy developers amongst my readers, whew!
    all has been quiet still. just a big gaping empty space.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG..... I am crying my eyes out.. I absolutely loved this house too.. Such a charming exterior.... so much potential...

    ... still crying...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gwen: you had a lot of catching up to do!! It was a charming - that is the perfect word. Stay tuned for updates, the concrete foundation of the new house has started

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!