Friday, October 3, 2014

owls

Inuk artist Kenojuak Ashevak is being recognized with a Google Doodle (click on link to see)  today on what would have been her 87th birthday.  She was born in Ikirasaq, South Baffin Island, NWT and died at Cape Dorset, Dorset Island, NU in 2013. 

So I thought for PostcardFriendshipFriday, I would share some of her delightful owl designs.
Sun Owl
Illustrious Owl
Vigilant Owl












and her most famous drawing 
Enchanted Owl





 “Her early drawing regularly portrayed images she had already used in her sealskin appliqués. … Simple forms and bold outlines characterize Kenojuak’s early designs. In her later work, the birds are exaggerated and stylized, with colour and shape taking precedence over realistic documentation." (source)

5 comments:

  1. I don't know what it is about owls but I've always been fascinated by them....I especially love that last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I like the last one, could be a peacock owl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love these. Wish we'd had more time to look at Native art while in Alaska and Canada this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I just love what she did--ah, don't you wish some of these amazing artists were still around? What beautiful artwork. So distinctive. Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!