Sunday, November 23, 2014

art is therapy

Two of the museums form my summer trip...
I don't like taking photos of the art (and I like it even less when other people insist on photographing every piece that's on the wall...) so these were pretty much all I took
Below is the inside of Amsterdam's refurbished Rijksmuseum 
(with the Night Watchmen in the distance)

the pleasant and restful cafeteria and excellent giftshop (surely the best gift shop in any museum). the big yellow post it notes were part of an exhibit from Alain de Botton. This link takes you to an explanation from his Art is Therapy. I found these quotes as interesting as the art.

the garden at the rear of the Rijksmueum was always a popular oasis
In Glasgow, the floral Clyde (the mascot from the Commonwealth Games) still stood outside the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
in case you can't tell, he's meant to be a thistle



inside, you can see an intriguing installation by Sophie Cave of several dozen heads 
















each with a different facial expression
we were fortunate to have timed our visit with a noon hour organ recital

there were two large screens with one showing the organist's feet, the other his hands. pretty cool! 











I've never seen an organ in a museum before. this one was built in 1901 for the Glasgow International Exhibition and after the exhibition, was moved from the temporary concert hall to this Centre Hall. there are daily recitals at 1pm and on Fridays there are tours up close and personal in the organ loft. we were not there on a Friday, unfortunately.


 a few shots of two museum strolls for Jo's Monday Walk and something for Toby's WWDD

12 comments:

  1. Thistle Man is a cutie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he's better than the strange porcupine we have for the Pan Am Games.

      Delete
  2. I thought that Clyde thistle thing was a frog.

    And the heads are a wee bit creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too, at first. they've grown on me though the more I look at my photos.

      Delete
  3. All of your photos are excellent. In my opinion the first one is the best. The perspective is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you.
      (I was rather pleased with the first on, too!)

      Delete
  4. Clyde is an interesting fellow. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he is quite possibly the friendliest thistle around!

      Delete
  5. I am with you on taking pictures at a museum - is chronicling what you saw more imp orotund than just enjoying the work of the artist? Not here! Kelvin grove is lovely, and the heads floating under the massive skylight is artsy, if a bit macabre too...the pipe organ is a work of art all by itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always and still astounded at the number of people who will walk into a room, take a photo of a painting, then immediately move on.
      yes, the organ is magnificent!

      Delete
  6. Wow, what magnificent museums! The ceiling shots are my favorite - what intricate detail. Thanks so much for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!